- When a person is unconscious and lying on their back, the airway can become compromised by the tongue falling back or any vomit thrown up by the casualty.
- Placing the casualty in the recovery position protects the airway from the tongue and any vomit will run out of the mouth.
- After Placing them in the Recovery position:
- Call for an ambulance if you haven’t already done so
- Keep talking to them, keep them warm and continue to monitor their breathing
- If they have to be kept in the recovery position for more than 30 minutes, turn them to the opposite side to relieve the pressure on the lower arm