Treatments of Burns Summary
When treating a casualty with a burn, you need to remember:
- Estimate the size and degree of the burn.
- Cool the burn using fresh (preferably running) water within the first 10 minutes for at least 10 minutes.
- Keep the casualty warm. Cooling a large burnt area for a long time it can cause the risk of inducing hypothermia.
- Note the time of the burn
- Dress the burn with a sterile dressing that won’t stick (such as cling film)
- Remove any constricting items such as rings, watches and jewellery. Carefully remove clothing