Administration of Liquid Medication
- Check consent – ask the client if they are ready to take their medication
- Shake the bottle if required (read instructions)
- Measure correct dose
- Pour liquids into a marked beaker- put the beaker on a flat surface, bend knees and keep back straight, pour liquids at eye level
- Using an oral syringe- put rubber cone shaped adapter into the medicine bottle to draw up the correct amount, if any air bubbles enter the syringe put liquid back into the bottle and re-draw liquids, expel liquid into the idle of the tongue NOT the back of the throat
- Clean the bottle with a damp tissue before replacing the lid.
- If administering more than one liquid medication ensure you use clean equipment for each medicine