Supporting Individuals to take their Medication
Active Participation – Encourage and enable individuals to be as independent as possible
A person centred approach is needed to promote self-administration. Individuals should be supported to take their own medication whenever possible, this holds a number of benefits including:
- Promoting independence
- Promoting feelings of wellbeing and self-esteem
- Maintaining the individuals routines
- Helping the person to gain a good understanding of their medication
- Empowering the individual
- Improving trust and relationships between staff and clients
You should also consider: Person centred values, cultural background, privacy, dignity, physical abilities and safe practice.
Remember to: Plan ahead, maintain routine, take time and offer praise and encouragement.